The Stellenbosch Slowmarket builds itself on the concept of Slow Food – fresh produce, from the ground up. Continue reading
The slowfood movement and the revival of crafted goods has resulted in a plethora of markets in Cape Town. These are a couple of my favourites.
1. The Neighbourhood Goods Market at The Old Biscuit Mill in Woodstock. This award-winning market stands head and shoulders above the rest. It has over 100 specialty traders every Saturday, including local farmers, fine-food purveyors, organic merchants, bakers, butchers, artisan producers and designers. Wander through the old warehouse and courtyard at the Old Biscuit Mill or chill on hay bales outside.
2. The Porters Market, in Tokai. Probably my most visited market, because I love the MoerKoffie, the amazing bacon and egg rolls, and the Marimba’s. The market is the perfect place to stop off after a bike ride, or walk in Tokai forest. Look out for the handmade breadboards, Karoo lamb, chocolate brownies, raw honey and heritage seedlings.
3. The Slowmarket and Treasury Market, in Stellenbosch. If you’re willing to trek out to the Winelands, this market is worth the trip. Well organised and laid out around the Oaks and Cape Dutch buildings of Oude Libertas, the Slowmarket offers quality, gourmet treats, quirky crafts and some great finds. After quaffing champagne over breakfast, I came home laden with marinated olives, cheese, a Havanna hat, a real Indian embroidered throw, a bird brooch and the intention to return. The Treasury craft market, within the larger market, is only there on the first Saturday of the month.
4. The Bay Harbour Market in Hout Bay. This market has grown into a sprawling mix of great food and crafts. Its popular – especially on the weekends when there’s live music – so expect a busy, vibey atmosphere.
5. The Earthfair Market, in Tokai. This small market has some gems – curries, cheesecakes and fresh organic juices. Try By Nature for organic nuts and dried fruit, Constantia Cheesery for delicious cheeses without colourants additives or preservatives, and SaladLover for the best vegetarian, gourmet selection of salads you could wish for.